This recipe is perfect for the day you just know you’re not going to have time to prepare dinner and you’re going to be ravaged by hunger by the time you get home. Instead of raiding the snack cabinet, take 10 minutes to prep this delicious and nutritious meal before you leave the house in the morning, turn on the crockpot, and go. You’ll come home to a kitchen filled with the mouth-watering scent of an ready to go meal! Not to mention, it’s super cheap and makes enough for lunch for the next few days.
Quick and Easy Mexican Minestrone
- 2 15-oz cans reduced sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz can whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained
- 2 14.5-oz cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 3/4 teaspoon vegetable bouillon (or substitute 14 oz reduced sodium chicken broth for the bouillon and water)
- 2 cups chopped potato (leave skin on)
- 1 cup salsa (as spicy as you prefer)
- 1/2 can green beans
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Nonfat plain greek yogurt for topping (if desired)
1. In a 4-quart crock pot or slow cooker, combine all of the above ingredients. Stir and cook on low for 7-9 hours. Top with nonfat plain greek yogurt in place of sour cream if desired.
Yep, that’s it. Just one step!