Need a healthy alternative to pizza pockets, pizza bites, pizza bagels or any other frozen pizza derivative? Enter these protein-packed pizza bites, ready to conquer your snack attack or keep your chompers busy during the next big game.
Have you heard of quinoa yet?
Quinoa, pronounced KEEN-wah, is a whole grain superfood, gluten-free and cooks quickly due to its small size. It is gaining in popularity and can be found in the rice aisle of your local grocer.definitely hit the spot for a snack attack. They’re high in protein from the eggs and the quinoa and packed with nutrients and antioxidants from the onion, tomatoes, garlic and herbs.
Protein-Packed Pizza Bites
Makes 12 Pizza Bites
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 large eggs
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped or 2 tablespoons dried
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pizza sauce for dipping
1. Bring quinoa and 2 cups of water to a boil in a small- medium pot, covered. Simmer for 20 minutes, then remove from heat and transfer quinoa to medium bowl. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Add all above ingredients (except pizza sauce) in with the quinoa. Mix thoroughly.
3. Spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray and fill each cup to the top with the quinoa mixture, pressing down to compact. Bake for 20 minutes then let cool for a few minutes before removing from tins. Serve with warm pizza sauce for dipping.
I used yellow cherry tomatoes because that’s what I had, but red ones would have made the color pop more and I also think I would add some diced red bell pepper next time too, just to give some extra color. The brown color just doesn’t do the flavor justice.
I cheated and used Muir Glen Organic Pizza Sauce (in a can) from Whole Foods, it was convenient and delicious!