I took these to our family Thanksgiving to add some green to the table! They were well received by all, even by those who had never had brussels sprouts! After Thanksgiving, I used the leftovers to top a whole grain mini pizza with mozzarella and asiago cheese and an extra drizzle of balsamic.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Pecans and Avocado
Makes 8-10 servings
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 2 and 1/2 pounds brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2-4 tablespoons dried thyme
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread the pecan pieces out on a baking dish and bake for 5 minutes until toasted.
2. Boil water in a large saucepan and blanch the brussels sprouts for about 3 minutes. Drain and pat dry with a paper towel. Let cool and chop brussels sprouts in halves or thirds.
3. Toss the brussels sprouts in a large bowl with the olive oil. Transfer to two baking sheets and bake for twenty minutes, turning halfway through.
4. Toss the brussels sprouts back into the large bowl and mix with pecans, avocado and thyme. Season with freshly ground pepper and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
Recipe adapted from Food and Wine Magazine November Issue.