Confession: I am not a sandwich person. I am really not a traditional salad person either. I don’t do fast food. So what do I eat for lunch? Most often, at the beginning of the week, I’ll make myself what I call a “base,” made up of a whole grain like brown or black rice, quinoa, barley, farro or whole grain couscous with a variety of herbs, spices and seasonings to jazz it up. Then each day I’ll add something different to my base, most of the time a variety of beans, veggies, nuts or canned salmon or tuna and sometimes cheese so every day I’m eating something new and different that doesn’t require the additional cooking time of having 4-5 separate meals. I’ve come up with a million different combos but I usually never share the recipes since they’re more of a “use-what-I-have-and-throw-it-together” type meals. Recently, I’ve been getting a lot of questions from clients about what I personally eat for lunch and I’ve been sharing my secrets, so I figured I’d share an example with all of you today in my One Pot Lentil Lunch.
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 and 1/4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons vegetable bouillon
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bag of 10-minute brown rice
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- Cherry tomatoes, chopped in half
- Chopped cilantro
1. Bring 2 cups of water to boil and add the lentils and vegetable bouillon. Stir and bring heat down to a simmer for 30 minutes.
2. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of water and the rest of the base ingredients (wine, oil, rice
[removed from bag], garlic and onion). Continue to simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes until rice is fully cooked and onion is tender.
3. Portion out what you’re going to eat for the day, then top with your add-ins!
Other optional add-in ideas for this base:
- Spinach leaves
- Hard boiled egg
- Canned salmon
If you’d like to see more of my lunch creations, let me know!
Sponsored: Popchips wants to give one of my lucky readers a whole month’s supply of their tasty treats to gear up for the summer snacking season! If you’re not familiar with Popchips:
- They are available in flavors such as sea salt, barbeque potato, and nacho cheese tortilla and are the perfect snack to keep you looking cool and feeling satisfied. Whether you’re having a picnic in the park, heading out on a summer vacation, or relaxing by the pool, Popchips has got all your summertime snack needs “in the bag.”
- Just in time for summer Popchips is introducing brand new, 15% more to love bags of delicious-ness! 15% more means more of the great flavor you expect from popchips, more chips to share with friends and family (if they’re lucky), and still only half the fat of regular fried chips with the same great price.
If you’d like to win a month’s supply, just leave a comment below to enter. For additional entries, if you haven’t already, you can *like* Nutrition Awareness on Facebook. I’ll be notifying the winner by May 17th.
Popchips also wants to give you a chance to win a free date night, on them. Go to www.popchips.com/moretolove and tell them when you first fell in love with popchips. You can also tweet/facebook/instagram them using #moretolove and share your story for the chance win a sweet (potato) date night!