You never know when hanger will strike, which is why I always have a bar in my purse for on-the-go snacking. My favorite snack of late requires a little prep work, but it is well worth the effort.
I’ve made a few varieties of energy bites/balls before, but never with my much-loved chocolate-cherry flavor combination. When I spotted this Wild Friends Chocolate Almond Butter at HomeGoods, it went straight into my cart. I thought of all the ways I could eat it (on toast, on oatmeal, straight out of the jar…), and then the inspiration for this recipe hit!
These bites are super simple to make and taste delicious. I love having them in the fridge for an easy afternoon snack, pre-workout energy boost, or sweet treat at night. Another plus is that they are no-bake, which is almost a requirement given our HOT Florida weather.
Last but not least, they’re packed with nutrients and super satisfying thanks to the combination of oats, almond butter, flax, and chia. Give them a try and let me know what you think!
Chocolate Cherry Almond Butter Bites
1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
½ cup chocolate nut butter (I used Wild Friends Chocolate Almond Butter)
¼ cup honey
1 tablespoon coconut oil
½ teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
¼ cup dried cherries, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
2 tablespoons chia seeds
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1. Combine almond butter, honey, and coconut oil in a small saucepan. Warm over medium-low heat until smooth and combined.
2. Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in almond extract. Set aside to cool.
3. While the almond butter mixture cools, place the oats, toasted coconut, dried cherries, ground flaxseed, chia seeds, and sea salt in a bowl. Stir until well combined.
4. Add the almond butter mixture to the dry ingredients and stir well.
5. Shape the mixture into balls, using about 2 tablespoons per ball (I used a 2-tablespoon cookie dough scoop). If the mixture is too wet, you can refrigerate it for about 30 minutes before forming the balls.
6. Place the balls in the freezer to set for 30 minutes, then transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 week.